Different users have access to different functions of the site. While anyone can do most things on the site, including reading and editing, administrators can access a few additional functions:
- Deleting and undeleting pages, page histories, and uploaded files.
- Locking (protecting) a page so it cannot be edited or renamed by users without admin rights.
- Blocking IP addresses or user names from editing; and very quick "rollback" of undesirable edits.
- Editing the interface by changing system messages and skins.
A bureaucrat can make other users into bureaucrats or administrators on their own wiki. He or she is not currently able to remove admin access from any user; please contact one of the community staff if you need that done.
Some Wikia staff members have full access to all Wikia. They will be shown in Special:Listusers/staff on any wiki. Wikia janitors have limited administrator access to all Wikia for cleanup purposes. These users will be shown on Special:Listusers/janitor on any Wikia. Please see the Central Wikia contact page for details on how to contact Wikia staff.
Rollback moderators have the ability to "rollback" and undo multiple edits at a single time. Rollback moderators have a blue outline in their name.
If you'd like to request a position on staff, please do so at Nerf Wiki:Requests for adminship. Any requests elsewhere on the site (ie: talk pages) will be ignored.
Qualities of a good staff position include:
- A lot of activity and good edits on the site
- A devotion to the hobby of Nerf, as well as a devotion to working on the site
- Knowledgeable with MediaWiki and how wikis work and/or willingness to learn and gain more skills in the field
- A good personality and willingness to work with others
If there are no active bureaucrats and you wish to become an administrator, please contact the community staff on the Central Wikia.
What can administrators not do?
Administrators should not use their administrator powers to settle editing disputes; for example, to lock a page on a version he or she prefers in an editing dispute that isn't vandalism. Administrator powers should be used to help keep the wiki clear of vandalism, spam, and users who make malicious edits, but not for simple disagreements between users acting in good faith. Ideally an admin shouldn't be considered "in charge". The ideal admin is just someone who is trusted to have a few extra buttons and to use them for the benefit of the Wikia community.